Sports Vision Testing From Our Fair Oaks Optometrist
At Swan Family Optometry, our Fair Oaks optometrist offers a wide range of eye and vision care services to suit your needs, including sports vision testing right here in our office. If you're an athlete and want to optimize your performance, now is a great time to schedule your sports vision appointment with our experienced eye doctor in Fair Oaks.
Understanding the Purpose and Benefits of Sports Vision Testing
The primary purpose of sports vision testing is to make sure that an athlete's eyes are performing as they should. This goes beyond the traditional testing conducted during a routine eye and vision exam to test for specific skills that could relate directly to athletic performance. Some of the skills that are tested during one of these appointments include hand-eye coordination, depth perception, and the ability of the eye to track objects. Once the results of sports vision testing are available, eye care professionals can then make recommendations for improving different aspects of their visual function. This, in turn, can help them optimize their performance.
If you're an athlete and have never had more than a comprehensive eye and vision exam done, this very precise type of testing can help uncover eye and vision problems that may be hindering your athletic performance.
Types of Sports Vision Tests Conducted By Our Optometrist in Fair Oaks
If you schedule sports vision testing with our optometrist in Fair Oaks, you may be wondering what you should expect. We'll always begin with a consultation where we'll take some time to review your medical history and get to know you. This is also a great opportunity for you to bring up any questions or concerns you may have about your ocular health.
From there, we can move onto the specific tests. Some of the most common we perform in our office include:
- Contrast sensitivity tests - these assess how well you're able to distinguish similarly-colored objects on a dark background
- Ocular alignment tests - meant to assess the alignment of the eyes and how well they're able to work together simultaneously
- Eye dominance tests - determine which eye is more dominant while tracking moving objects, which could help diagnose instances of binocularity
- Depth perception tests - determine how well you can perceive objects at various distances
- Snellen eye testing - tests for basic refractive errors that can be corrected with prescription lenses
These are just a handful of the common types of sports vision tests we use in our office; however, our eye doctor in Fair Oaks will make specific recommendations for testing based on your needs and the sport you play.
If you're interested in having sports vision testing done or would like to find out more about what to expect from this service, feel free to contact our Fair Oaks eye doctor today. You can reach Swan Family Optometry by calling 916-966-6080.