Eye Disease Management From Our Optometrist in Fair Oaks
Eye diseases can do irreparable harm to your vision. That's why regular eye exams and eye disease management from our optometrists in Fair Oaks CA, Dr. Swan and Dr. Chan, are so crucial to your ocular well-being. Our Fair Oaks eye doctor can help you manage such common problems as:
- Cataract - A cataract is a clumping of proteins that turn the normally-transparent lens of the eye opaque. Most cases are caused by simple aging, but other causes may include corticosteroid use and underlying issues such as diabetes. Cataract symptoms include blurring or vision, loss of night vision, dulling of colors, glare sensitivity, and sunburst or halo patterns surrounding light sources.
- Glaucoma - Glaucoma is usually caused by elevated fluid pressure within the eye. This pressure does permanent damage to the optic nerves. While some cases of glaucoma can be sudden and acute in nature (accompanied by rapid loss of vision, nausea, eye pain, vomiting, and headaches), most cases lurk for years without symptoms.
- Macular Degeneration - Macular degeneration is one of those senior eye diseases that become a genuine threat by age 60. This disease damages the macula, the retinal component that makes your central field of vision possible. While age is the primary risk factor, macular degeneration can be aggravated by smoking, an unhealthy diet, and excessive UV and HEV (blue light) exposure.
- Diabetic Retinopathy - Diabetic retinopathy is a natural side effect of chronic elevated blood sugar (diabetes), which is known to damage blood vessels. As the blood vessels in the eye become damaged, they may leak blood into the eye or cause the macula to swell, causing distorted vision and permanent vision loss.
- Dry Eye - Dry eye is one of the most common senior eye diseases because of age-related reduction in tear volume, although it can strike at any age due to wind exposure, infrequent blinking related to computer use, underlying diseases, medications, and blockages in the glands that contribute moisture-preserving oils to the tear film.
Timely Treatment From Our Eye Doctor in Fair Oaks
Our eye doctor in Fair Oaks can help you manage that chronic eye disease, thus saving your sight. Glaucoma, for instance, can usually be controlled through oral or topical medication. Diabetes control can minimize the progression of early-stage diabetic retinopathy, while injectable medications can help control advanced diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration. Our Fair Oaks optometrist can also prescribe numerous remedies for dry eye, depending on the underlying cause of your condition. Corrective lenses can help you cope with cataracts until you need to have them removed -- at which point our Fair Oaks eye doctor can co-manage that procedure and your recovery from it.
Our Fair Oaks optometrist is ready to help you retain optimal eyesight, even in the face of eye diseases. Call (916) 966-6080 for an eye exam and/or eye disease management!