Signs Of Sight Loss
The common view of vision loss is that it happens to seniors and great singers. The truth is that vision loss can happen to anyone at any age. It might happen suddenly, or it could begin with a little shadowing and build its way up to full-fledged vision loss. Your eye doctor at Swan Family Optometry in Fair Oaks thinks you should know the facts about vision loss.
Symptoms Of Vision Loss
While some health conditions like diabetes and heart problems can cause differences in vision, typical signs of loss of vision include:
- Trouble focusing in light or dark, long or near distances
- Light sensitivity making you squint or blink
- Eye color changes and red swollen eyelids
- Wavy lines, ghosts, and halos or auras around lights
- Dry, itchy eyes, watery eyes, and eye pain
- Double vision and dark spots
Other than medical conditions and injury, your optometrist in Fair Oaks numbers the causes of vision loss as macular degeneration or deterioration of the macula (sharp, clear vision,) diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma or high blood pressure caused by fluid buildup inside the eye, and cataracts or cloudy lenses inside the eye.
There are stages your eye doctor will walk you through in treating loss of vision:
- You'll need to see a doctor to heal the condition causing the vision loss
- Your optometrist in Fair Oaks CA will manage the loss of vision
- You'll need a doctor for special lenses, glasses, and magnifying devices
- Your doctor will help you find therapists to help you learn to move around safely with impaired vision and to use a cane or optical device if needed
Living with the loss of your vision is a highly emotional thing. Your doctor will also make sure you contact someone with whom you can talk it out.
Preventive measures can be taken to avoid loss of vision. Regular eye exams, wearing the correct sunglasses to prevent eye problems are all options for preventing loss of vision.
Swan Family Optometry in Fair Oaks stands ready to help when you contact us to learn more.